Introduction to Jensen and their turntables
Jensen is a brand that has a history in the consumer electronics industry that dates back to 1915 when Peter L. Jensen invented the first loudspeaker. The brand started growing and nowadays has many different product lines. As an example of how great audio products Jensen has always produced, Jeep (the car manufacturer) used the Jensen AccuSound premium sound system in some of their models in the 1980s and 1990s.
As the company started building turntables decades ago, there is no doubt that they have the experience and the knowledge to produce well-functioning, good quality products. And this is what they do. As you will read below, they don’t offer too many options when it comes to record players but the ones they do are pretty good.
Jensen focuses on the entry level segment of the market as for the price. All their record players cost under a 100 dollars, some even under 50 dollars. The real surprise is what you get for this small amount of money. A lot, you get a lot.
Just ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you want to buy a turntable?
- Don’t you want to spend a fortune on your very first turntable?
- Do you want to get the best possible product for your money so, the best value for the money turntable?
If your answer to these questions is Yes, you should definitely go through the below list of Jensen’s turntables and consider buying one of them. Then, later, when you will long for something more serious and will be ready to spend more money on a higher quality, more authentic sounding record player, you can check the options available in those higher price ranges. <I want to check the current price of Jensen turntables!>
Alright, as already mentioned, Jensen only offers for sale only a couple of different models, so why not briefly go through each of them. Then, if you like any of them, you can also check are detailed reviews or if you want to read some real customer reviews and check the best current price, you can go to Amazon.com that is really competitive as for turntable prices.
1. Jensen JTA-230 3 Speed Stereo Turntable with Built in Speakers – The most popular and 2nd cheapest Jensen record player
Most people who decide to buy one of Jensen’s turntables, go for this model, the JTA-230. You should also check their limited edition: <Jensen Limited Edition Silver JTA-230S 3 Speed Stereo Turntable Built in Stereo Speaker System>. Many customers bought it thinking it is just too good to be true, to get a usable turntable for under 50 dollars. They still gave it a try because it is so cheap. <Check the current price> Most of them didn’t regret their purchase after receiving the JTA-230. In fact, there is no way you will regret it in case you’ll buy it and you don’t have too high expectations. Come on, you pay 50 dollars for this device, what do you get for this amount of money today? Not much, right?
- Really good value for the money
- USB output that makes it possible to convert your audio content from the vinyl to e.g. MP3
- Plays at all 3 speeds
- Design looks a bit outdated to us
- Certain people may find the speakers not loud enough
- It is made of plastic
2. Jensen 3-Speed Stereo Turntable (JTA-220) with AM/FM Stereo Radio (Silver) – The Cheapest…
Cheapest doesn’t necessarily means good, actually it usually means: Don’t buy me! Looking at the price tag of most record players available on the market today, you may wonder: “How is it possible to offer something even cheaper than the JTA-230 and it is not rubbish?” Frankly, even if this question comes to your mind, we cannot blame you. This is like the cheapest turntable on offer today and what is a surprise to us: this is not the worst by far!
We don’t know how much profit Jensen has on each of its JTA-220 with its retail price of around 40 dollars <Click here to check the best retail price> but we don’t think they earn too much on them. Anyways, that’s not our problem, so let’s check some of its Pros and Cons. If you’re interested in our detailed review, just click the link below!
If you are just about to enter the audiophile’s world, this is one entry level turntable to consider!
- Before everything else: The incredibly low price
- Product Dimensions: 8.8 x 14.2 x 12.8 inches ; 7.4 pounds – Really small and light turntable that fits almost everywhere and is easy to move
- AM/FM Stereo Receiver
- No USB output
- Material quality is only acceptable, not really good
- No Auxiliary Input Jack
3. Jensen JTA-222 3-Speed Turntable – This or the JTA-230?
Looking at the selection of Jensen turntables, you might wonder whether the JTA-222 or he JTA-230 is the better one, given the fact they cost more or less the same. Well, as for features, the JTA-230 has more. Probably, the biggest advantage of the 230 compared to the 222 is its USB output. So, meanwhile with the JTA230 you can easily convert your audio to mp3 for example, with the JTA222 you cannot. <Read some real customer reviews>
If you don’t really care about whether your future turntable as USB output or not, the 2 record players are basically the same as for their technology. This is when design and your taste come to picture. We personally prefer the look of the JTA-222 with its wooden exterior. However, it is really not our business to tell what looks better, you know anyway which one’s look you prefer. Now, knowing the difference between these two popular Jensen record players, you should be able to choose, in case you want to go for a Jensen product.
- Antique Wooden Case Design
- It measures in at 5 inch (H) x 12.5 inch (W) x 11 inch (D) making it easy to store.
- Has a transparent dust cover that protects both the turntable and the vinyl you play on it
- No USB output
- No Auxiliary Input Jack
- No Software Included for Recording, Editing, and Converting your Audio Content to MP3 Format (that you get if you go with the JTA-230)
4. Jensen JTA-460 3-Speed Stereo Turntable with MP3 Encoding System and AM/FM Stereo Radio (Black) – Some Extra Features
The JTA-460 does everything a bit better than the JTA-230 and it also does a little bit more. We are looking at a price difference of about 30 dollars, the JTA-460 being more expensive of course. <Check the best price and real customer reviews>
With the JTA-460 you can convert your audio to mp3 without the usage of a computer. This is definitely a big pro. Another advantage of it against the 230 is that this one has a remote control, so you can control it from a distance without having to move. It doesn’t only have an USB slot but also comes with SD/MMC Slots.
It plays at all 3 speeds just like all the other Jensen turntables which is also a very good thing.
The question is: Is the 30 dollars difference justified? We think that Yes, it is. It has some really useful features that the JTA-230 doesn’t. We recommend you to buy the JTA-430 if you like what the JTA-230 offers but you either prefer the 430’s design or want the extra features it has compared to the 230.
- MP3 compatible with USB and SD/MMC Slots
- AM/FM Receiver with Digital Frequency
- It has a remote control
- Some customers reported strange noises
- The recording function doesn’t always work perfectly
- It doesn’t have a pitch adjust like the other Jensen turntables
5. Jensen JTA475B 3-Speed Turntable with CD, AM/FM Stereo Radio, Cassette and Remote – The All-in-One Jensen Turntable
As the model name well reflects this is not just a turntable. It also plays radio, CD and cassettes. Unfortunately, when talking about electronics devices less is usually more and more simple is generally better. This is no exception. We believe that Jensen wanted to put too many things in this turntable and still offer it at an incredibly low price tag, which they do. The problem is that none of the components is really good. The best part is the turntable without any doubts. So, if you are looking for a decent turntable with some half-decent extra features, then you should consider the JTA-475.
The turntable itself is actually the same you can find in the more simple models of Jensen. So, this is good. However, as already said, don’t expect too much from the other components, because you may get disappointed. The problem with the CD player and the Cassette deck is that many customers reported that they just stopped functioning. <Read some genuine customer testimonials>
As for the price, this one goes for around 75 bucks, which is close to the price of the JTA-460. Here is our recommendation: If you are looking for just a good turntable, go for the JTA-460. That one is more simple thus more reliable. However, if you want all the extra features the JTA-475B can offer, you can go for it and even if one of the components goes wrong, you can still use the other parts and probably even if that happens you won’t have a headache as you didn’t spend a fortune on it.
- Many features: Blue Back-lit LCD Display, AM/FM Stereo Receiver, Dust Cover, Cassette Deck with Single Key Operate Design, RCA Line-out Jacks, Power Indicator
- It has a remote control
- You get a lot for your money – A real All-in-One device
- the speakers that come with it are not the best
- The cassette player tends not to work in some cases
- The arm is not automatic so you do have to manually put the needle on and off the record
6. Jensen JTA-410-BL Portable 3-Speed Stereo Turntable with Built-In Speakers – The Portable Turntable of Jensen
As you can see, Jensen also offers a portable turntable that are pretty popular nowadays. Portable record players are solid, lightweight record players that usually look like a briefcase and you can actually carry them like one.
The JTA-410 is not a bad portable turntable, not at all. It is well put together, and provides the same sound quality as the non-portable models of Jensen. It is available between 60-70 dollars so it is also way under 100 dollars <Check the best price available on Amazon>
In fact, we have only one issue with the JTA-410 and that issue is called Crosley. The company Crosley sells mostly portable turntables, also some really nice vintage looking ones. <You can check some of the best Crosley portable record players in the Top Menu under Brands -> Crosley>.
Crosley’s portable turntables are the most popular portable turntables on the market today and there is a proper reason for that. They are really good and reliable at an affordable price. We also prefer their look but again, that is just our personal taste.
We don’t say that the Jensen JTA-410 is not a good portable turntable but it has a very strong competition with Crosley on the top.
- Nice Leatherette Case
- USB Port with Cable included for Converting Vinyl Records to Digital Format
- Available in 3 different colors
- Other portable record players may have better design
- Little bit heavy, heavier than some non-portable Jensen turntables: 4 pounds
- Strong competition
This was it, the 6 turntables Jensen currently offers for sale. We tried to give you some insight on each of them, also to highlight some of their advantages and disadvantages compared to other turntables. We have made or will make (in the near future) detailed reviews of all of them that you can read through by clicking on the related buttons.
Jensen turntables are without any doubt some of the best entry level turntables available on the market today. You should consider buying one of them if you are just entering the world of quality music. They offer good products with decent sound quality and all this at cheap prices. What else could you want?!